Monday 7 May 2012

Getting Serious

I like running. I don't do it enough, because I'm always too busy (lazy).
I probably shouldn't call what I do 'running'. I'm not sure if there's a particular point where 'jogging' becomes 'running', but I'm probably quite a way off. I'm a plodder - I can keep going for ages, but at no great speed.
Anyway, since I was a lot younger (and a lot more ambitious) I have wanted to do something 'big', like swim the Channel or run a marathon. Again, I've always been too busy (lazy).
However, quite a few people I know ran the London Marathon this year (or last year) and I really admire them for getting off their backsides and actually doing it. I know it wasn't easy, but they all seemed to talk about their training and the marathon itself in such an inspiring way, I really felt I wanted to get off my backside too and get serious!
So here I am - and hoping that by the time I turn 40, I will have run a marathon.
I've entered the ballot and signed up with my chosen charities (more about those in a minute). I won't know until October whether I've got a place in the 2013 Virgin London Marathon, but I'm starting now. I'm hoping to run a half marathon in September or October (Lake Vrynwy and/or Cardiff), so that's what I'm working towards first.
I'll be blogging along the way too, mainly to help motivate myself and track my progress, but also in case anyone else out there might actually be interested in my tales...
I've chosen to raise funds for two charities, I couldn't decide between the two.
Firstly, The Epilepsy Society. My amazing dad passed away nearly 5 years ago, following a seizure at home. He'd have laughed his head off if I'd have told him I was planning to run the marathon, wound me up and thought that'd I'd never have the commitment to see it through. He'd have been there though, cheering me on  (hoping to see a proper runner like Paula Radcliffe or just having an excuse to go to London for the weekend and take mum to see Mama Mia again!!!)
I've also chosen to raise funds for the RNLI. Dad was always a big supporter of the RNLI, it's a big thing here in Barmouth where I live now, as it is in Jersey, where I grew up. I have close friends (including my husband) who have been, or are, crew members and these guys deserve the utmost respect for what they do.
I'm not sure how much I'll be able to raise, but I will do my best.
Tomorrow, the official training starts. I'm going to follow the Intermediate training programme from the London Marathon website. It looks manageable, but we shall see how it fits into my life (well, our lives, I suppose - it'll need to fit in with the rest of the family too).
I did a 'tester' run yesterday morning - further than I'd usually run, but it felt good. I ached a little this morning and I wore stupid socks so got a bit of a blister. However, I have sorted both the blister and the sock situation, and I'm not aching anymore so there are no excuses (yet!)
Wish me luck....


2 comments:

  1. Well done....im so excited for you, hope you get a ballot place!! will be following your progress....London Marathon, best feeling ever!x PS Vaseline on your feet before socks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck. You've chosen 2 worthwhile charities and I really hope you get picked

    ReplyDelete